Jail for 4 of thievesí gang
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured in road accident in Jaipur; one dead
- Fadnavis rubbishes reports of flight delay, threatens to take legal action
- Madrasas to be de-recognised in Maharashtra; Congress calls the move unconstitutional
- Rs 526 crore for AAP govt publicity; Congress asks is it to purchase media
- Fearing action, 1400 primary teachers with fake degree resign in Bihar
An interstate gang was sentenced to three year' rigorous imprisonment by a special railway court in Daund for their alleged involvement in several railway theft cases.
The accused have been identified as Mohammed Istekar mohammed Badruddin (20), Gautam Kumar Narendra Prasad (22), Vinod Kumar alias Madhukar Matuki Nishad (37) and Arvindkumar alias Aman Garibnath Mandal (27), all hailing from Bihar.
Investigations revealed that the accused used purchased tickets for long distance trains. They used to enter these trains as passengers, read newspaper while travelling. Then by diverting passengers they stole valuables from fellow passengers' bags.
Last year, they allegedly stole gold ornaments worth Rs 7.89 lakh from the bag of a family travelling from Solapur to Bijapur. A passenger Nargis Abdul Wahab Kachi lodged a theft offence with the Solapur police.
During investigation, a railway police team comprising inspectors Suryakant Naukudkar, assistant inspector Ramdas Shelke, sub inspector Vishnupant Kardile arrested the accused. Police recovered stolen ornaments worth Rs 1.4 lakh from the suspects.