Jail for 4 of thievesí gang
- Sahara pleads SC to release Subrata Roy to borrow money for refunding investors
- Kejriwal finds âbakwasâ in Gujarat, faces protests himself
- PCâs dig at MoD: Learn from sub accidents, âspend wiselyâ
- Donât want Hooda aide, Bellary man in NDA: Sushma Swaraj
- Jat quota after riots hurt Muslim sentiments, says Alvi
An interstate gang was sentenced to three year' rigorous imprisonment by a special railway court in Daund for their alleged involvement in several railway theft cases.
The accused have been identified as Mohammed Istekar mohammed Badruddin (20), Gautam Kumar Narendra Prasad (22), Vinod Kumar alias Madhukar Matuki Nishad (37) and Arvindkumar alias Aman Garibnath Mandal (27), all hailing from Bihar.
Investigations revealed that the accused used purchased tickets for long distance trains. They used to enter these trains as passengers, read newspaper while travelling. Then by diverting passengers they stole valuables from fellow passengers' bags.
Last year, they allegedly stole gold ornaments worth Rs 7.89 lakh from the bag of a family travelling from Solapur to Bijapur. A passenger Nargis Abdul Wahab Kachi lodged a theft offence with the Solapur police.
During investigation, a railway police team comprising inspectors Suryakant Naukudkar, assistant inspector Ramdas Shelke, sub inspector Vishnupant Kardile arrested the accused. Police recovered stolen ornaments worth Rs 1.4 lakh from the suspects.