Jain body to stage protest in Delhi on Dec 18
- Malaysia Airlines plane may have turned back before vanishing, says Air force chief
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress
- Subrata Roy arrest row: The not-so-beautiful story
- Vajpayee wanted Modi to quit over Gujarat riots, but party said no: Venkaiah Naidu
- Internal battle in BJP out in open: M M Joshi seeks clarity on Varanasi seat
The issue of minority religion status for Jains has now started gaining momentum. The Vishav Jain Sangthan (VJS) would stage a mega rally, Adhikaar, in New Delhi on December 18, said VJS chief Sanjay Jain, who was in the city to seek the blessings of Dr Shiv Muniji, all India head of Jain saints. He said: "While Muslims, Parsi, Sikhs, Buddhists and Christians have been given minority religion status, Jains have been deprived of the same. So far, 12 states have given Jains the minority religion status, but it has not been done at the national level. As per the 2011 census, Jains constitute only 0.45 per cent of the country's population. We want an independent identity of our religion."