Jainís inclusion in ministry shows focus on Bundelkhand
- India's naval might on full display off Visakhapatnam coast
- Kerala solar scam: Had freedom to enter Chandy’s house anytime, says Saritha Nair
- Australian national suspected to be IS supporter deported from Delhi airport
- At least 39 dead as Gujarat state transport bus plunges into river
- Cops have a case for new juvenile law: boy who ‘killed 2’
First-time MP Pradeep Jain has been inducted into the central ministry as he is the only Congress MP elected from the drought-prone Bundelkhand region. And the choice is a clear indication of the importance accorded to the area, feels party insiders in the state.
Jain (47), a down-to-earth man, is the kind of young people AICC general secretary Rahul Gandhi believes will help rebuild the Congress in UP in time for the next assembly elections ó due in 2012.
One of the most backward regions, Bundelkhand has been neglected by successive governments. Poor agriculture, lack of irrigation and drinking water, unemployment, and migration to cities for jobs are some of the perennial problems.
As the Minister of State for Rural Development, Jain should be equipped to take care of the development needs of the region.
Last year, Rahul had visited Bundelkhand and organised protests on local issues. Jain, an MLA from Jhansi, had caught his eye at the time. When the Lok Sabha elections were announced, Rahul ensured that Jain got the party ticket. He also made it a point to address a public meeting in Jhansi.
"Bundelkhand has always been on the agenda of the Central government," said UP Congress president Rita Bahuguna Joshi. "In the previous government, we were not able to do enough for the region, but with selection of Pradeep Jain, the party leadership has given a clear signal that Bundelkhand's development will be a priority."
Joshi said the party was happy with the appointment. "The message is clear ó importance will be given to the area which has been neglected by other parties in the past." Like Jain, the inclusion of 45-year-old RPN Singh is also seen as Rahul Gandhi's idea. Another first-time MP, Singh has been the president of the state Youth Congress and represents the Kurmi population.
- No proof required: MGNREGA does not help poor
- Male-dominated ‘places of worship’ are places where god doesn’t reside
- As Sushma visits Lanka, India should invest its diplomatic capital in finding constitutional solution
- There is talk of 4th industrial revolution. How about spreading the benefits of the preceding three
- It Made China See Red
- Modi’s Idea of India - 2