Jaipal Reddy announces fellowship for PhD scholars, booster dose for research
- Netaji files show family was under observation, intercepted communication hinted at sightings
- Indian fisherman allegedly killed in Pakistan firing off Gujarat coast
- Maharashtra government transfers Sheena Bora murder case to Central Bureau of Investigation
- Another drowned toddler washes up on Turkish beach: report
- Taliban attack on Pakistan base kills 29; 16 die in mosque
Union Science and Technology Minister S Jaipal Reddy launched the Prime Minister's Fellowship Scheme for Doctoral Research in the Capital on Thursday and requested the "private sector to invest more in research".
The scheme offers 100 fellowships annually for a duration of four years. It is being jointly promoted by Science and Engineering Research Board, Department of Science and Technology, the Central government, and the CII.
The research areas include science, technology, engineering, agriculture and medicine.
The scholarship, co-sponsored by the government and industry houses, will be given to PhD scholars for pursuing projects having "practical relevance and industrial applications"
The minister launched the scheme at the AICTE-CII University Industry Congress 2012 and the 4th Global Higher Education Summit.
"I expect the private sector to invest more in research and innovations and partner our research institutions in solving national problems through accessible, available and affordable innovations," Reddy said.
He underscored the need for conversion of knowledge into products of commercial value to the industrial users.