Jairam Ramesh asks media to be balanced
- Coal scam: SC stays summons for Ex-PM Manmohan Singh, P C Parakh, K M Birla
- Leave Delhi: That’s what doctors are prescribing to patients with serious respiratory ailments
- Poster girl of India's tobacco battle Sunita Tomar dies
- Re-promulgation of land ordinance with 9 changes gets Cabinet nod
- Panic spreads as more rain forecast for Valley today
In the backdrop of the recent molestation here and the national outcry over it, Union Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh today called upon the media to act in a more 'balanced manner'.
"Stories done by the media in the North East would be picked up by the national media and project Assam as a case where there is only ethnic violence and only atrocities on. There is more to Assam than all this," he said inaugurating a centre opened by the Tata Consultancy Services here.
"While reporting negative events the media should highlight all angles. I think there is a great responsibility on the media also to be more balanced."
Assam has been shaken by two incidents of molestation recently.
While a girl was molested in the streets of Guwahati on July 9 by a mob and the footage of entire incident was shot telecast by a private news channel, Sibsagar district has a number of agitations demanding army withdrawal the alleged molestation of a girl at Demow by army personnel on July 13.