Jairam Ramesh asks media to be balanced
- Purnia rally: Modi takes a dig at Nitish, says his PM dream was reason for break up of alliance
- Still no sign of Malaysia Airlines jet lost in "unprecedented mystery"
- DMK denies ticket to Alagiri; Raja, Maran get renomination
- Coal scam: SC directs CBI to file five charge sheets by Mar 28
- Haryana, Gujarat top industry-friendly states, Maharashtra among bottom five
In the backdrop of the recent molestation here and the national outcry over it, Union Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh today called upon the media to act in a more 'balanced manner'.
"Stories done by the media in the North East would be picked up by the national media and project Assam as a case where there is only ethnic violence and only atrocities on. There is more to Assam than all this," he said inaugurating a centre opened by the Tata Consultancy Services here.
"While reporting negative events the media should highlight all angles. I think there is a great responsibility on the media also to be more balanced."
Assam has been shaken by two incidents of molestation recently.
While a girl was molested in the streets of Guwahati on July 9 by a mob and the footage of entire incident was shot telecast by a private news channel, Sibsagar district has a number of agitations demanding army withdrawal the alleged molestation of a girl at Demow by army personnel on July 13.
- Bengal model better than Modi’s Gujarat, says Didi
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- Three RTI activists whom Kejriwal paid homage are alive
- Poojary wins Mangalore primary
- Short change: Health cover for girl child at 50% discount
- Run with the bulls, don’t lose out to foreign investors again
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress