Jalpaiguri blast: KPP top leader arrested
- Congress fields local MLA Ajay Rai from Varanasi to take on Modi, Kejriwal
- Mamata Banerjee seeks removal of Vinod Zutshi from EC
- Kejriwal slapped again, second attack in last four days
- Bihar: BJP attacks Nitish over CRPF officer's death, calls for probe
- April 8 Campaign roundup: TDP, BJP still grappling with seat sharing issues; Mamata seeks removal of Vinod Zutshi from EC
A central committee member of the Kamtapur People's Party (KPP), which is spearheading demand for a separate Kamtapur state, has been arrested from Cooch Behar in connection with the bicycle bomb blast here that claimed six lives.
Nubas Burman, the general secretary of KPP central committee, was arrested from his home at Toofanganj in Cooch Behar on Sunday in connection with the December 26 blast, Japlpaiguri SP Amit P Javalgi said on Monday.
Burman is the second person to be arrested in connection with the blast at Bajrapara here. One person was arrested from Moynaguri in Jalpaiguri district.
The SP said some persons have also been detained in connection with the bicycle bomb blast and the police were questioning them to find out their role in the blast.
The blast is suspected to have been carried out by the Kamtapur Liberation Organisation (KLO).
Burman had been arrested in 2002 on charges of being a KLO linkman but was released the next year.
Before being produced at a court here on Monday, he alleged that he was arrested in order to scuttle the agitation for a separate Kamtapur state to be carved out of north Bengal and some Assam districts. He also denied any links with KLO or the blast.
The district administration has clamped prohibitory orders under Section 144 CrPC in areas of Jalpaiguri town since Sunday.
- HC frowns at harassment of tenants in old buildings
- Rai Cong’s local man against Modi, Kejriwal
- Baig death order: Final hearing in HC on June 16
- Centre allows use of bull in Jallikattu, sets guidelines
- Injured trying to defuse bomb, CRPF man cries for help on TV
- SC notice to Haryana on land use for Faridabad hospital