Jandiala Cong leaders join SAD in droves
- 9 killed, over 40 injured as Bengaluru-Ernakulam Express train derails near Hosur
- SC says allegations grave, but grants relief to Teesta Setalvad in cheating case
- All you need to know about AAP's WiFi Delhi promise
- 19 killed as militants storm Shia mosque in Pakistan
- Modi’s cricket diplomacy: Renewing political contact with Pakistan
In a major setback to the Congress in Majha, especially Amritsar, a large number of Congressmen, including sitting MCs and former MCs, joined SAD on Sunday. Ravinder Pal Singh Kuku — former president Jandiala Nagar Council and party general secretary — also quit the party to join the Akali Dal.
Welcoming Kuku and his team to SAD, cabinet minister Bikram Singh Majithia said: "Honest, loyal and dedicated people are always welcome in SAD."
Later, speaking to mediapersons, Majithia said: "The people have realised it is only sincerity and dedication of SAD that can steer Punjab towards peace and prosperity. So, one after the other, pro-Punjab and pro-people politicians are voluntarily joining SAD. Congress has nothing to offer to its workers and nothing at all to Punjab. The people have rejected it and its disillusioned workers are now leaving. In fact, today's switchover shows that the 'Quit Congress Movement' has began."