Jawwad defers march after CM’s ‘assurance’
- Election Live: Narendra Modi addresses rally in Purnia, attacks Third Front
- Still no sign of Malaysia Airlines jet lost in "unprecedented mystery"
- Raj Thackeray warms up to Narendra Modi, lets Sena feel the heat
- Uttar Pradesh BJP wants tickets for four riot-accused MLAs
- Haryana, Gujarat top industry-friendly states, Maharashtra among bottom five
Shia cleric Maulana Kalbe Jawwad deferred his protest march to CM's residence, scheduled for Monday, following an assurance by CM Akhilesh Yadav over the telephone. Jawwad, however, addressed a meeting of Shia Muslims in Imambara Sibtainabad at Hazratganj on Monday.
Addressing his supporters, Jawwad announced that Akhilesh has consented to his demands. According to Jawwad, the resignation of Shia Waqf Board chairman Syed Waseem Rizvi has been accepted while an inquiry in the sale of waqf properties in the past 10 years will also be done. "A separate probe in the attack at Asafi Imambara on May 18 will also be conducted," he said.
Traffic in Hazratganj went haywire due to the protesters.
His demand for removal of the Shia Waqf Board chairman, however, is held up due to a technical flaw. Though Waseem had submitted his resignation as per the Section 19 of the Central Waqf Act, which is applicable in the state, any outgoing chairman continues to hold the post till new one assumes charge. "I am thus still the officiating chairman of the board. Jawwad is against the Constitution, and has no regard for rules and regulations," said Rizvi.
- Bengal model better than Modi’s Gujarat, says Didi
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- Three RTI activists whom Kejriwal paid homage are alive
- Poojary wins Mangalore primary
- Short change: Health cover for girl child at 50% discount
- Run with the bulls, don’t lose out to foreign investors again
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress