JDU's Sharad Yadav wants SC/ST quota in promotions, judiciary
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Janta Dal (United) today supported the demand for reservation in promotion for SC/ST, with party president Sharad Yadav making an appeal to all political parties to support an amendment in Constitution on the issue.
SCs/STs have been the most deprived community in the country, Yadav said, adding that there is hardly any representation of these people in top offices like President's Secretariat and Prime Minister's Office (PMO) and also demanded reservation for the SC/ST community in judiciary.
He also expressed anguish even though the issue was listed in recently concluded winter session of Parliament, it was not discussed due to disruptions by members of some political parties.
"It is unfortunate. Even after 65 years of independence, we politicians could not uplift their (SC/ST) standard of living due to many obvious reasons," Yadav said.
Without naming anyone, he also said that though political parties have commented on this issue outside Parliament, nothing concrete has been done by them for development of SC/ST community.
"A large number of people in our society belong to this class and they are socially disadvantaged and generations after generations and century after century their living conditions have not been improved," he told reporters here.
Raising the issue of their "unfair" representation in top offices, he asked, "Why no government officer from the SC/ST community is posted in President's Secretariat and PMO? We must take steps to ensure that these people do not face discrimination in these matters."
He also supported reservation for the SC/ST community in judiciary.
"I would appeal the judiciary also to open itself in these matters of social justice. So far only one person from the dalit community has been appointed as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court," Yadav said.
JD(U) chief also said that neither government has maintained any centralised data reflecting the inadequate representation of SC/ST in promotion, nor there is any information on their cadre and grade-wise representation in various departments.
- Modi govt abetted and pushed 2002 riots further, we didnâ€™t in â€™84:Â Rahul
- Rahul gifts his land near Vadraâ€™s in Haryana village to sisterÂ Priyanka
- Hrithik Roshan, Hrithik Roshan Bang Bang, Hrithik Roshan starts shooting, Hrithik Roshan Katrina Kaif, Katrina Kaif bang bang | The Indian Express
- Indiaâ€™s biggest failing | The Indian Express