Jerome out of Kolhapur jail on month-long parole
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Grover murder case He had cited parents' failing health as reason.
Nearly five years after he was arrested, tried, and later convicted and sentenced to10 years' rigorous imprisonment in connection with the murder of television executive Neeraj Grover, ex-naval officer Emile Jerome walked out of Kolhapur jail on Thursday on month-long parole.
Citing failing health of his parents, Jerome sought parole from January 9 to February 8, which was granted by the divisional commissioner of Pune.
The police had alleged that Jerome killed Grover and, along with his Kannada starlet girlfriend Maria Susairaj, chopped his body into pieces before disposing it in the jungles of Manor in Thane district. Jerome was convicted in July 2011 of culpable homicide not amounting to murder. Susairaj, on the other hand, was found guilty of destruction of evidence and sentenced to three years' imprisonment.
Susairaj walked out of Byculla Jail a day after she was sentenced, as she had already spent three years behind bars.
Parole is provisional release of a convicted prisoner who is allowed to step out for a stipulated period. According to a prison official, jail authorities get 20 to 25 applications every month from convicts seeking parole on several grounds, including marriage.
Deputy Inspector General (Prisons) Rajendra Dhamne confirmed the release order. Superintendent of the Kalamba prison in Kolhapur, Bharat Bhosale, said Jerome had moved the application a few weeks ago.
"He had cited his parents' health as the reason. His application was accepted by the Divisional Commissioner of Pune," Bhosale said.
Jerome, who had been lodged in jails meant for under-trials in Mumbai and Navi Mumbai, was taken to Kolhapur after the judgment in the case. In Mumbai, he had involved himself in jail activities, such as teaching other inmates.
The Grover murder case dates back to May 7, 2008, when Jerome landed at the rented apartment of Susairaj at Deeraj Solitaire in Malad (West). On finding Susairaj with Grover, Jerome allegedly lost his cool and got into a fight.
- AAP names Bharti victims, uploads eight videos targeting Africans in Delhi
- Kapil Sibal to contest from Chandni Chowk in 2014, even if Arvind Kejriwal inÂ fray
- Arvind Kejriwal likely to pass Jan Lokpal Bill in February, says the fight for new independence hasÂ begun
- Movie review: â€˜Jai hoâ€™ | The Indian Express