Jethmalani slams BJP for ‘ignorance’ now
- Zero-tolerance towards communal violence, must act: Centre to states
- Varanasi: Violence breaks out during protest march, vehicles set ablaze
- Germany our natural partner, says Modi after meeting Merkel; 18 MoUs inked to boost trade
- Why the BJP finds itself in a spot before Gujarat local body polls
- Supreme Court suspends beef ban in Jammu & Kashmir for two months
BJP's Rajya Sabha MP Ram Jethmalani on Saturday attacked Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj and her counterpart in the Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley for their criticism of the appointment of the new CBI director.
Alleging that their opinions were an outcome of "complete ignorance" about facts and could have have been "instigated" by a rival of Ranjit Sinha, who was appointed CBI director on Thursday, Jethmalani petitioned party president Nitin Gadkari, against whom he had raised a banner of revolt recently, requesting him to "refrain" leaders from "further comments" on this issue.
Swaraj and Jaitley had written to the Prime Minister on Friday, protesting against the appointment of CBI director, alleging that the government had hurried the decision to avoid the appointment be made by a collegium, as suggested by the Select Committee on Lokpal that submitted its report on Friday.
"I regret that this criticism is the result of complete ignorance of relevant facts and possibly has been instigated by a most undesirable rival who had to withdraw his petition before the CAT on Friday," Jethmalani wrote to Gadkari.
Attacking party leaders, he suggested that Congress-led UPA government's decision had "averted a national calamity". He forwarded a copy of his letter to the PM as well.