Jihad Jane 'converted to Islam after being raped by father'
- Amit Shah moves HC against FIRs on hate speeches
- Defiant Azam Khan stands by Kargil won by Muslim soldiers remark, gets EC notice
- Lok Sabha elections LIVE: Polling ends in Nagaland, Manipur, Meghalaya, Arunachal
- SC refrains from staying government move to include Jats in OBC category
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Naveen faces crisis of confidence, says Hemant Soren
The Pennsylvania-based Islamic militant, who christened herself as ''Jihad Jane'', has explained the some of the reasons for her conversion to violent radicalism.
Colleen LaRose, 49, pleaded guilty to several charges, including planning a jihad and conspiring to kill Swedish cartoonist Lars Vilks, in February 2011.
But in her media first interview since being arrested and charged with a series of terrorism-related crimes, LaRose explained her journey to jihad.
According to the Daily Mail, she explained how she was raped as a child, ran away from home to become a prostitute at 13 and fell into militant Islam for a ''sense of belonging.''
"That I was finally going to be some place where I belonged. I've survived through a lot of things that rightfully should have killed me. I always thought there was a purpose for me to be alive," the paper quoted her, as saying.
"And when I found out about Islam I thought this is what I have to do, this is why I've lived so long,' she added.
At around eight years old LaRose, and her older sister Pat, was raped by her father Richard LaRose, the report said.
The sexual abuse continued until LaRose ran away from at 13. The girl then worked in prostitution and developed heroin and cocaine addictions, it added.
According to the paper, LaRose claims that her father's abuse ruined her life.
"I have done all kinds of bad things. I was rebelling because of what he did and because my mother did nothing to help us," the paper quoted him, as saying.
- Walmart to launch 50 stores in big India push
- Poojary banking on ‘sympathy’ for Dakshina Kannada seat
- Solution to water woes key factor in Chikkaballapur
- Eying 85 pc turnout, election dept offers many sops
- Last day, last show: Parties flex muscles, try to connect with one & all
- From societies to slums, Adhalrao-Patil on the move