JK Assembly's first day starts with furore over Afzal issue
- FIR against Giriraj Singh for Modi-Pak remark, BJP pulls him up
- Modi attacks Gandhis again, wonders how Rahul can lead country when he can't handle Amethi
- Malaysian Airline flight to Bangalore makes air turnback
- Vote for BSP to keep fascist forces, dynasty rule at bay: Mayawati to Muslims
- Emissary row: Sanjay Saraf dismisses reports of carrying any message from BJP
The first day of Jammu and Kashmir Assembly's budget session was marked by acrimonious scenes and allegations with principal opposition party PDP boycotting the Assembly today over its demand to handover mortal remains of
Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru to his family. An Independent legislator was also marshaled out of the Assembly.
The month-long budget session commenced at around 12:00 PM with Deputy Speaker Sartaj Mandi in the chair.
To lodge protest against "inability of the state government to protect legal rights Afzal Guru" the Peoples Democratic Party boycotted the first day of the Session.
PDP legislators, under the leadership of Mehbooba Mufti, staged a dharna outside the Assembly and shouted slogans against the state government. The legislators were
carrying placards in support of their demand of handing over mortal remains of Afzal to family.
Independent MLA Engineer Rashid Ahmed tried to disrupt the proceedings and entered into verbal duels over Afzal issue forcing Deputy Speaker to order his marshelling out from the House.
Later, the proceedings went smoothly and the House remembered and paid tributes to the former prime minister, I K Gujral, former JK minister Abdul Aziz Zergar, and members of state legislature.