J-K Chief Minister Omar Abdullah congratulates Pranab Mukherjee
- We condemn the flogging of Dalit men in Gujarat, says Rajnath Singh
- India cannot suppress voice of Kashmiris, should hold plebiscite: Nawaz Sharif
- Hockey legend Mohammed Shahid passes away
- Ambiguity on Navjot Singh Sidhu's status in BJP as no official word on resignation from party
- 7th Pay Commission: Govt to examine pay parity between IAS, non-IAS officers
Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah today congratulated Pranab Mukherjee for being elected as the country's next President and expressed hope that he will visit the state soon.
"We are sure he will be a great President and the nation will benefit from the vast experience that he has gathered over his long and illustrious career.
"We look forward to receive him in Srinagar when he comes to see the Tulips," Omar said.
Jammu and Kashmir gave Mukherjee 68 votes while Sangma got 15 votes. Two votes were declared invalid. Mukherjee's vote value here stands at 4,896 while Sangma got 1,080. The Assembly has 87 MLAs.
Omar's father and Union Minister Farooq Abdullah also congratulated Mukherjee on his election saying this is "most delightful news we could get".
- UN faces a crisis, but its new secretary general is unlikely to upset tradition
- South China Sea verdict has changed the ground rules for future engagement with China
- Empowering women through JAM
- Resolution of citizen grievances is an indicator of the performance of government departments
- Telescope: Grace and the lack of it
- The endeavour for a common civil law must be to end discrimination, and not stamp majority might