J-K: Suspected LeT militant killed, 7 injured in encounter
- Supreme Court grants recognition to transgenders as third category of sex
- Unethical, betrayal: Prime Minister Manmohan Singhâs daughter voices family anger
- On Ambedkar Day, BJP says UPA favoured Muslims over Dalits
- RSS-led core group maps Modi campaign route
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Varun Gandhi to file nomination; Kejriwal arrives in Varanasi
A suspected Lashkar-e-Toiba militant was killed in an encounter while seven persons were injured in police firing on stone-pelting protestors as the cops were evacuating an injured colleague from the gunbattle site.
A militant was killed on Friday in an encounter with security forces in south Kashmir's Pulwama district while another militant is believed to be holed up.
"One militant has been killed so far. The operation is on," a police spokesman said.
Exchange of fire broke out in Chandgam area of Pulwama in the morning between security forces and holed up militants, the spokesman said.
Two constables -- Imtiaz Ahmad (bullet injury) and Manzoor Ahmad (stone injury) -- were injured in the gunbattle which was going on till reports last came in.
As the police was evacuating the injured to hospital, a group of people started pelting stones at the police vehicles at Pulwama chowk, police sources said.
They said police opened aerial firing to disperse the crowd, resulting in injuries to seven persons.
The Pulwama town went on a spontaneous strike against the firing incident, the sources said.
- Modi wave is a myth, says Siddaramaiah
- In Mandya, discordant notes in show of Cong unity
- ‘Fakir’ Jankar takes on Pawar might in battle against ‘dynasty’
- Ballot paper in Braille to help blind persons cast their vote
- AAP volunteer attacked
- 64-year-old fights for Punjabi language, gets little support from political parties
- BJP dancing to the tune of RSS: Sonia Gandhi | The Indian Express
- After Sanjay Baru, former coal secretary Parakh’s book embarrasses PM; ‘Singh had little political authority’
- How can Modi honour women if he can’t mention his wife, asks Rahul
- Rahul Gandhi insulting Ambedkar by taking credit for laws: Narendra Modi