J-K: Suspected LeT militant killed, 7 injured in encounter
- PM Modi's 'strategic restraint' choice: A virtue or a necessity?
- PM to people of Pak: Let’s go to war against unemployment, poverty... let’s see who wins
- Uri attack: Odia BSF jawan succumbs to injuries, death toll rises to 19
- Rain havoc in Telangana: Death toll rises to 8 in Medak
- Kashmir: Curfew imposed in Kishtwar following arrest of 3 charged with sedition
A suspected Lashkar-e-Toiba militant was killed in an encounter while seven persons were injured in police firing on stone-pelting protestors as the cops were evacuating an injured colleague from the gunbattle site.
A militant was killed on Friday in an encounter with security forces in south Kashmir's Pulwama district while another militant is believed to be holed up.
"One militant has been killed so far. The operation is on," a police spokesman said.
Exchange of fire broke out in Chandgam area of Pulwama in the morning between security forces and holed up militants, the spokesman said.
Two constables -- Imtiaz Ahmad (bullet injury) and Manzoor Ahmad (stone injury) -- were injured in the gunbattle which was going on till reports last came in.
As the police was evacuating the injured to hospital, a group of people started pelting stones at the police vehicles at Pulwama chowk, police sources said.
They said police opened aerial firing to disperse the crowd, resulting in injuries to seven persons.
- Loud jingoism and war talk erode India’s credibility
- Phenomenon of the non-academic VC is part of a wider crisis of the university
- PM Modi must recognise Pakistan’s gameplan, and respond at a time and place of India’s choosing
- The government has failed to provide the right incentives to farmers
- The advent of the Fadnavis government in Maharashtra Marathas’ political hegemony
- Across the aisle: In search of a Pakistan policy