Jobless engineer who used to do sundry jobs for lawyer killed him, claim police

Police on Monday claimed to have solved the murder of 57-year-old advocate Subhash Gupta with the arrest of three men — one of whom used to do odd jobs for him.

Gupta, who specialised in income tax-related cases, was found murdered at his Vikas Marg office on Thursday night. He was stripped, strangled and hit with a blunt object on the head, police had said.

An officer said a 22-year-old jobless aeronautical engineer, who used to do "sundry jobs" for Gupta, killed him because of some dispute. "Two 21-year-old men from Gurgaon helped him commit the crime," he said.

Deputy Commissioner of Police (East) Prabhakar said all three have been arrested. "It appears that Gupta did not pay the main accused his dues. This had angered him and he plotted ways to teach him a lesson," he said.

Police said he hatched a plot with a friend, who earned Rs 200 a day by distributing and sticking pamphlets for a talent hunt agency, to kill Gupta. The third man, who worked at a call centre where the engineer was employed between February and July this year, was also roped in.

The engineer is from Muzaffarnagar in UP, and he lived with a friend in Kapashera, Southwest Delhi. Police officers said Gupta's phone call records led them to the engineer. "Gupta agreed to meet him on December 13. The main accused and his two friends came to the lawyer's office in Laxmi Nagar around 7.30 pm. But Gupta told him that he would be able to see him at 8.45 pm. When they returned at the said time, the call centre man stood guard outside the building, while the other two went in. Gupta served them drinks," an officer said.

An hour before his death, Gupta had called his wife to say that he would be home for dinner at 9 pm. He was alone in his office after the peon left around 8.30 pm.

"The two men hit Gupta and pinned him to the ground. They stripped him, tied his ankles, knees and hands and taped his mouth. Gupta died of suffocation and smothering. They took away his gold chain, wristwatch, mobile phone, wallet, office and car keys," the officer said.

Police tracked down the accused and arrested them from Kapashera on December 15. "The accused have been sent to police custody for three days. We are questioning them to recover the robbed items," the officer said.

Please read our terms of use before posting comments
TERMS OF USE: The views, opinions and comments posted are your, and are not endorsed by this website. You shall be solely responsible for the comment posted here. The website reserves the right to delete, reject, or otherwise remove any views, opinions and comments posted or part thereof. You shall ensure that the comment is not inflammatory, abusive, derogatory, defamatory &/or obscene, or contain pornographic matter and/or does not constitute hate mail, or violate privacy of any person (s) or breach confidentiality or otherwise is illegal, immoral or contrary to public policy. Nor should it contain anything infringing copyright &/or intellectual property rights of any person(s).
comments powered by Disqus