Jodhpur police team heads for Bhopal as Asaram tries to buy more time
- AAP-BJP clashes: Kejriwal & Co to file complaint with Election Commission against BJP
- SC adjourns Centreâs plea restraining TN from releasing Rajiv killers till March 26
- âMamata is hiring honesty from Maharashtra through Annaâ
- Mumbai dailies laud Kamat, he denies he paid for the ânewsâ
- Congress bends, âopen to TRS allianceâ
The Jodhpur police dispatched a team to Bhopal as the deadline for Asaram Bapu to appear for interrogation ended on Friday.
Though the Jodhpur police refused to divulge if an arrest warrant had already been issued, Deputy Commissioner of Police Ajay Lamba said that there is a strong ground for Asaram's arrest if he is unable to prove his innocence.
"Many facts have been revealed during our investigation so far and we will verify that in his interrogation. A special team has been constituted for his interrogation and likely arrest. If he does not have any defence, there is strong ground for his arrest," Lamba told reporters. "Arrest is a part of interrogation. Asaram is presently in Bhopal and if he leaves for another location, we will send our team there too."
The police received a fax from Asaram on Friday evening asking for more time to appear for interrogation citing ill health and death of a relative but the police have refused to grant the extension.
Lamba clarified that the Jodhpur police has not been soft on Asaram but gave him four days time to present himself for interrogation keeping his age in mind.
"He is over 75 years old and keeping that in mind we gave him enough time. But his failure to present himself for interrogation and that without any concrete reason has prompted us to reach out to him on our own. We are in regular touch with the Madhya Pradesh police and will need their support in the following days too."
- No jobs for students of state’s first dairy, fisheries colleges
- Mayor blames contractors for bad roads, says better material to be used now
- New police chief says smooth polls his top priority for now
- Battleground ready, tough fight on cards in Pune
- Gadkari visits PU for cultural event, crowd gets out of control
- Govt vehicle hits two visually impaired students