Junior Engineer gets one-year in jail for giving bribe
- If Pakistan has sympathy for Kashmiri youth, they shouldn’t provoke them to attack army camps: Mehbooba Mufti
- Dhaka cafe attack mastermind, 2 others killed in police encounter
- Rio 2016 review: What they did at home, what in Olympics
- Buzz of change in Maldives, Mohammed Nasheed flies secretly to Lanka
- Kashmir: Police constable shot dead by terrorists
Raj Singh, a Junior Engineer, was sentenced to one year of imprisonment for giving a bribe to the Controller of Finance and Accounts, Haryana Prathmik Shiksha Pariyojana on December 5. Raj Singh wanted to get a transfer to his native place.
On August 11, 2010, Raj Singh went to the office of Sumer Singh Bisnoni, Principal, Account standing Institute, Haryana who was also handling the additional charge of Controller of Finance and Accounts, Haryana Prathmik Shiksha Pariyojana. Raj Singh put forward an application for his transfer from Mewat to Gurgoan at 12 pm.
Since his application was not approved, Surinder Kumar, assistant advised him to get a recommendation from the Executive Engineer. Five minutes later, Raj Singh again walked into the office of Bisnoi and showed him the application with a recommendation from Executive Engineer, Sohan Singh.
Bisnoi kept the application in the procedure but Singh asked him his residential address. When asked why he needed the address, Singh said he wanted to send some Diwali gifts. Bisnoi refused to accept any but Singh kept asking him for the address. Failing to get the address, Singh opened the second drawer of Bisnoi's table and put in some money and closed it.
Bisnoi retaliated and called his peon, Om Prakash to check what he had kept. Finding out the money, he asked the peon to count it. The peon counted the money to be Rs 5, 000. At 3.40 pm the Sector 17 police station was informed and the accused was arrested. On January 29, 2011, Raj Singh was charge-sheeted.
When the court examined the witnesses, Sohan Singh, the Executive Engineer gave a statement that he had made an endorsement on his application and was marked to the Controller. Sohan Singh was accused of accepting some money for making the recommendation.
- In Kashmir, so-called solutions are riddled with contradictions and divisions
- Why personal, social and political self-identification of Dalits must count more than legal nomenclature.
- The draft surrogacy bill violates the fundamental right of people to choose modes of parenthood
- Realpolitik drives Myanmar’s outreach to India and China
- Epidemics in India are seldom followed by a long-term response
- Pakistan army has a battle to win: The corruption within