Justice Basant must apologise: Krishna Iyer
- AAP govt sacks Delhi Food Minister Asim Ahmed over corruption charges
- Two Indians detained in Dubai and Saudi Arabia for terror links
- Nitish Kumar ups the ante against BJP, says Bihar will progress on its own efforts
- Man beheads wife; walks on Pune road with her head
- Tell us one place where Ganga is clean: NGT asks Centre
Former Supreme Court judge V R Krishna Iyer on Sunday demanded public apology from retired Kerala High Court judge R Basant for his recent remarks against Suryanelli gangrape case victim. "Justice Basant should withdraw his remarks and apologise to all women," Iyer told reporters here.
Justice Basant, along with Justice K A Abdul Gaffoor, delivered the judgment in the case in 2005 acquitting all 35 accused. The Supreme Court recently quashed the acquittal.
"There was ample evidence to show the girl was used for child prostitution, which is not rape," Justice Basant was shown as saying on a TV channel on Saturday.
The remarks drew widespread protests across the state with the DYFI, the Yuva Morcha and women's organisations burning his effigies in several parts of the state.