Under pressure, Justice Ganguly mulls resigning as WBHRC chief
- Defiant Giriraj stands by his remark, says Pakistan trying to stop Narendra Modi from becoming PM
- Modi attacks Gandhis again, wonders how Rahul can lead country when he can't handle Amethi
- Vote for BSP to keep fascist forces, dynasty rule at bay: Mayawati to Muslims
- Emissary row: Sanjay Saraf dismisses reports of carrying any message from BJP
- IPL 7 Live Score, RR vs KXIP: Watson departs after scoring scintillating fifty
Former Supreme Court judge A K Ganguly, who faces charges of sexual harassment slapped by a law intern, is contemplating resignation as chairman of the West Bengal Human Rights Commission (WBHRC).
"Justice Ganguly spoke to me over telephone and said that he is thinking of resigning (as WBHRC chief)," former Attorney General Soli Sorabjee said on being asked about reports that the judge has written to him on the issue.
During the telephonic conversation, Justice Ganguly said so many things are being said about him and wanted his view. Sorabjee said he had told Justice Ganguly that it will be a "wise decision" to resign.
Justice Ganguly's talk with Sorabjee came close on the heels of the Union Cabinet on Thursday approving a proposal for sending a Presidential reference to the Supreme Court on the issue, which was seen as a step towards his removal as WBHRC chairman.
A three-judge Supreme Court panel had indicted Justice Ganguly by holding that the statement of the intern, both written and oral, had prima facie disclosed "an act of unwelcome behaviour (unwelcome verbal/non-verbal conduct of sexual nature)" by the judge with her in the Le Meridien hotel room on December 24 last year.
Justice Ganguly has denied the allegations of the law intern and blamed "powerful interests" of trying to tarnish his image due to certain judgments delivered by him.
In a letter of Chief Justice of India P Sathasivam last month, Justice Ganguly said he had never harassed the law intern nor made any unwelcome advances towrds her or any other female intern.