Justin Bieber smoking weed pics driving fans to mutilate themselves
- Lok Sabha proceedings washed out as Opposition adamant on Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhra Raje's resignation
- BJP counters Congress with ‘sting CD’ on Uttarakhand CM’s aide
- Nitish Kumar to welcome PM Modi, attend programmes too if invited
- Speaker Sumitra Mahajan's warning of 'disciplinary action' irks opposition
- Lt Governor Najeeb Jung calls DCW chief's appointment illegal
Fan reaction has been extreme after pictures of Justin Bieber apparently smoking a joint went viral.
Prompted by users of website 4chan, Bieber fans known as Beliebers were encouraged to take to Twitter and post pictures of themselves self-harming with the hashtag "CutForBieber," to demonstrate how upset they were about the pictures.
The campaign was started by some terrible internet trolls on 4chan, a site that hosts a number of bulletin boards where members can post pretty much anything they like.
On a board that has now been removed, one user wrote: "Lets start a cut yourself for Bieber campaign. Tweet a bunch of pics of people cutting themselves and claim we did it because Bieber was smoking weed."
Whilst some Twitter users found the #CutForBieber hashtag amusing, it made others more than a little angry.
The most high profile tweeter to react to the sick campaign was Miley Cyrus, who retweeted: "#cutforbieber? Cutting is NOT something to joke about. There are people who are actually suffering from self-harm, this is so disrespectful."
Following the publication of the controversial images, the teen popstar himself took to Twitter to write a series of emotional tweets, with the singer revealing that he was "growing", "learning" and didn't want to "let any of you down."