Juvenile Justice Act essentially a social welfare law
- Modi government softens stand on controversial Land Acquisition Bill, says ready for talks
- Gangster Abu Salem sentenced to life imprisonment in Pradeep Jain murder case
- Went to casino for dinner with family, apologise for my choice of venue: Moin Khan
- Ready to discuss issue of alleged stealing of Petroleum ministry documents: Government
- Salman Khan black buck poaching case: Jodhpur court defers verdict
Can they be lodged in an institution after they turn 18?
Section 44 of the Act provides for establishment or recognition of after-care institutions by the state government for lodging juveniles after their release from observation homes. However, the period of such stay for a juvenile over 17 but less than 18 has been limited to three years or till he attains the age of 20 years.