Juvenile Justice Act essentially a social welfare law
- Aam Aadmi Party expels Yogendra Yadav, Prashant Bhushan and 2 others for 'anti-party' activities
- Rahul says Modi ignoring farmers, govt replies you looted them for 10 years
- Govt to give befitting reply to Hafiz Saeed's threat: Rijiju
- Would not be bad if we fulfill 50 percent promises: Arvind Kejriwal
- 'China wants to promote Indo-Pak peace talks amid Xi's visit'
Can they be lodged in an institution after they turn 18?
Section 44 of the Act provides for establishment or recognition of after-care institutions by the state government for lodging juveniles after their release from observation homes. However, the period of such stay for a juvenile over 17 but less than 18 has been limited to three years or till he attains the age of 20 years.