Kai Po Che: High fliers
- PM Modi discusses GST bill with Manmohan, Sonia at 7 RCR; Cong says demands non-political
- Withdraw convocation invite to Narendra Modi: Jamia Millia alumni to VC
- PoK will remain with Pakistan, J&K will remain with India: Farooq Abdullah
- Liquor ban in Bihar: Nitish Kumar's poll promise to women comes at a high cost
- Amarinder Singh appointed as new Punjab Cong President
As a part of 2013's first edition of Screen Preview, film-maker Abhishek Kapoor, newbies Sushant Singh Rajput, Raj Kumar, Amit Sadh along with producer Siddharth Roy Kapur get candid on what Kai Po Che implies, need to rope in fresh talent, reasons for having only three songs in the film and more
For the live coverage, log on to: http://www.youtube.com/screenweekly
Siddharth, how did you go about the process of acquiring the rights of Chetan Bhagat's The 3 Mistakes Of My Life that has been adapted into Kai Po Che?
Siddharth Roy Kapur: After watching Rock On!!, we have always wanted to work with Gattu (Abhishek Kapoor). When we spoke with him, he gave us a script which was one of those scripts that you yearn to come by. We get 7-10 scripts a week; some are good but there are very few that make you feel that this is a story that has to be told. When he told us that he wanted to make the film with us, we jumped at that opportunity. He had already spoken with Chetan (Bhagat). In fact, Chetan collaborated with him on the script, so we didn't have to acquire the rights of the book as Chetan and Gattu had already worked that out together.
Like other producers, is Disney UTV actively looking at acquiring rights of books that can be adapted into films?
SRK: Yes. It is great that English writing has increased to a great extent. While certain books are great, some are not. Even with great books, only few lend themselves to cinema. The trick is to identify the ones that can be translated on screen and look at the option of making those movies. We are doing that pretty aggressively.
Abhishek, what about Chetan Bhagat's The 3 Mistakes Of My Life appealed to you for you to adapt into a film?
- Good governance is in actions, not in 'abolishing' religious holidays of minorities
- Respecting sovereignty is the essence of bilateral diplomatic engagement
- Islam doesn’t justify targeting innocent lives in the manner in which it was done in Paris
- Imran Khan is a politician with a sense of personal destiny, and a divine mission
- Game upside down
- Why every patriot should be worried, and, yes, ashamed