Kai Po Che: High fliers
- His hands tied, PM surrendered to Sonia: ex-media adviserâs book
- How can Modi honour women if he canât mention his wife, asks Rahul
- Mewat simmers after poll clash, killing of Muslim youth
- After rare skull surgery at AIIMS, twins from Kerala look like each other
- Elections 2014 LIVE: FIR against Azam Khan; Rahul to file nomination papers today
As a part of 2013's first edition of Screen Preview, film-maker Abhishek Kapoor, newbies Sushant Singh Rajput, Raj Kumar, Amit Sadh along with producer Siddharth Roy Kapur get candid on what Kai Po Che implies, need to rope in fresh talent, reasons for having only three songs in the film and more
For the live coverage, log on to: http://www.youtube.com/screenweekly
Siddharth, how did you go about the process of acquiring the rights of Chetan Bhagat's The 3 Mistakes Of My Life that has been adapted into Kai Po Che?
Siddharth Roy Kapur: After watching Rock On!!, we have always wanted to work with Gattu (Abhishek Kapoor). When we spoke with him, he gave us a script which was one of those scripts that you yearn to come by. We get 7-10 scripts a week; some are good but there are very few that make you feel that this is a story that has to be told. When he told us that he wanted to make the film with us, we jumped at that opportunity. He had already spoken with Chetan (Bhagat). In fact, Chetan collaborated with him on the script, so we didn't have to acquire the rights of the book as Chetan and Gattu had already worked that out together.
Like other producers, is Disney UTV actively looking at acquiring rights of books that can be adapted into films?
SRK: Yes. It is great that English writing has increased to a great extent. While certain books are great, some are not. Even with great books, only few lend themselves to cinema. The trick is to identify the ones that can be translated on screen and look at the option of making those movies. We are doing that pretty aggressively.
Abhishek, what about Chetan Bhagat's The 3 Mistakes Of My Life appealed to you for you to adapt into a film?
- Under attack over rape remark, SP chief Mulayam Yadav blames media
- JD(S) releases manifesto, vows to protect interests of state
- Ambareesh returns, says will sort ‘minor differences’
- Sagar Ghosh killing: Breather for DGP as HC stays single bench order
- Face of Gujarat riots is face of BJP: Mamata
- Cong seeks action against Advani on ‘wrong’ info in affidavit