Kalsaria outfit sets stage for four-cornered fight in 5 seats
- Delhi High Court raps MCD for strike, says common people are suffering
- Delhi air will never be safe because of its geographical disadvantage: Panel tells High Court
- Tanzanian student targeted because she was black, says envoy
- Supreme Court tells BCCI: Fall in line, Lodha panel report deserves respect
- Adarsh scam: CBI gets Maha Governor's nod to prosecute Ashok Chavan
With rebel BJP MLA from Mahuva Dr Kanu Kalsaria set to field candidates under the banner of his Sadbhavna Manch in five Assembly constituencies, the coastal belt of Bhavnagar and Amreli is likely to see a four-cornered contest in the Assembly elections due in December.
While Congress had supported Kalsaria-led agitation by farmers against the now-cancelled Nirma Cement plant project, the Opposition party finds itself contesting not only against the BJP but also Sadbhavna Manch.
Besides, the entry of Keshubhai Patel's Gujarat Parivartan Party has further complicated equations. Early this year, Kalsaria had supported Patel's anti-Modi campaign. GPP general secretary Gordhan Zadaphia, as the president of now dissolved MahaGujarat Janta Party, had also backed conventions of farmers led by Kalsaria.
Kalsaria yesterday said he would field candidates for the five seats of Mahuva, Gariyadhar, Savarkundla, Rajula and Talaja. Finding right candidates for these five seats is proving difficult for all the four parties in the fray.
For BJP, the challenge is to retain Mahuva by besting its own two-term MLA Kalsaria, who is hugely popular there and the surrounding areas.
Though Mahuva Taluka Panchayat is ruled by Sadbhavna Manch and Congress in alliance, there is little possibility of Congress joining hands with the outfit for the Assembly elections. If it does not, the two parties will find themselves pitted against each other in five seats.
"So far, there has been been no decision on alliances," said Kalsaria.
However, according to sources, GPP may enter into some agreement with Kalsaria's outfit at least in Gariyadhar (Amreli) seat, from where Zadaphia is very likely to contest since the taluka comes under his home district of Bhavnagar.
- No proof required: MGNREGA does not help poor
- Male-dominated ‘places of worship’ are places where god doesn’t reside
- As Sushma visits Lanka, India should invest its diplomatic capital in finding constitutional solution
- There is talk of 4th industrial revolution. How about spreading the benefits of the preceding three
- It Made China See Red
- Modi’s Idea of India - 2