Kalyug fame Smilie Suri makes her TV debut with Jodha Akbar
- HSBC Indian list just doubled to 1195 names. Balance: Rs 25420 cr
- Manjhi expelled, Nitish stakes claim to form govt in Bihar
- Hanging of Afzal Guru was 'wrong' & 'badly' handled, says Shashi Tharoor
- Have given it my all, not nervous about result: Kiran Bedi
- Japanese girl allegedly raped by tourist guide in Jaipur
Smilie Suri, the female lead of 2005 film Kalyug, is all set to make her television debut with Jodha Akbar where she plays the character of Ruqaiya Begum, Akbar's first wife.
Unfortunately, after being signed in for the Zee TV project, she fell ill and has been hospitalised with high fever.
Smilie said she is anxious to get out of the hospital and start shooting for the period drama wherein she will appear on screen from eighth or ninth episode onwards.
"Over the last few years, I was offered TV shows, but I declined them. This one's not a saas-bahu show and the role of Ruqaiya is also very different. It helps me break away from the girl-next-door image created by my Kalyug character," said the actress.
"The commute from Mumbai to Karjat for the shoot can be pretty taxing so I was in two minds initially but the character is not only interesting, it has different layers and substance. Ruqaiya is an important part of Akbar's life. She was his best friend, almost like his mirror. I'm just waiting to get out of the hospital and begin shooting got the show," added Smilie Suri.