Kalyug fame Smilie Suri makes her TV debut with Jodha Akbar
- J&K: One Pakistani terrorist captured alive, another killed in gun battle
- Piece of aircraft wreckage is from missing MH370: Malaysian PM Najib Razak
- Heavy rains have caused the Kamayani Express mishap: Shivraj Singh Chouhan
- FSSAI rubbishes all-clear reports to Maggi from Goa, Mysore labs
- Wasim Akram escapes unhurt after shot at by official in Karachi
Smilie Suri, the female lead of 2005 film Kalyug, is all set to make her television debut with Jodha Akbar where she plays the character of Ruqaiya Begum, Akbar's first wife.
Unfortunately, after being signed in for the Zee TV project, she fell ill and has been hospitalised with high fever.
Smilie said she is anxious to get out of the hospital and start shooting for the period drama wherein she will appear on screen from eighth or ninth episode onwards.
"Over the last few years, I was offered TV shows, but I declined them. This one's not a saas-bahu show and the role of Ruqaiya is also very different. It helps me break away from the girl-next-door image created by my Kalyug character," said the actress.
"The commute from Mumbai to Karjat for the shoot can be pretty taxing so I was in two minds initially but the character is not only interesting, it has different layers and substance. Ruqaiya is an important part of Akbar's life. She was his best friend, almost like his mirror. I'm just waiting to get out of the hospital and begin shooting got the show," added Smilie Suri.