Kamal Haasan's film kicks up controversy ahead of release
- India vs Sri Lanka Live Cricket Score: India pick early wicket as Mohit Sharma removes Kusal Perera
- Congress alone can counter BJP's "divisive ideology": Manmohan Singh
- Congress, SP, BSP indulging in "WWF-like fights" in UP: Modi
- 103 crorepati candidates in Odisha's 70 Assembly seats: report
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Mulayam, Mayawati, Kejriwal dreaming of becoming PM, says Kalyan Singh
Just a month ahead of its release, actor Kamal Haasan's trilingual 'Viswaroopam' (Vishwaroop in Hindi) has generated much controversy over the actor's proposal to release the movie also on DTH platforms with the move not going down well with theatre owners in Tamil Nadu.
The tech-savvy actor's unique idea of having just one show eight hours ahead of the movie's scheduled release on January 11 on Direct-to-Home (DTH) platform has found few takers among theatre owners who believe the new trend could dent their business if more producers of the multi-crore Tamil cinema take a cue from him.
His argument that the show proposed for a fee would actually attract more audiences to theatres has failed to cut ice among theatre owners who today sought the intervention of Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa in this matter.
"Kamal Haasan has assured that only one show of Viswaroopam will be telecast on DTH but what if more producers follow suit and increase the number of shows on DTH in the future," President of Tamil Nadu Theatre Owners Association Abirami Ramanathan told reporters here.
He said his association had held talks with the actor where many things were discussed in relation to the controversy.
He expressed doubts over Kamal Haasan's argument that the show on DTH will act like a teaser and attract more audiences. If the movie was shown in clubs and associations like IPL matches, would people visit the theatres?, he asked.
The move would affect small budget films and the association has urged the actor to reconsider his decision, Ramanathan added.
He also requested the intervention of the Chief Minister to solve the ongoing issue.
Meanwhile, Kamal Haasan, who was in Madurai, was not available for comment.
'Viswaroopam' starring Rahul Bose, Shekar Kapoor and Andrea Jermiah, among others, is a multi-million-rupee budget film directed and produced by Kamal Haasan and the trailer of the thriller has created a lot of buzz.
- Rahul Gandhi admits 'mistake' of losing touch with people in Delhi
- There will be serious consequences if Modi becomes PM: Chidambaram
- Mulayam, Mayawati, Kejriwal dreaming of becoming PM: Kalyan Singh
- Congress alone can counter BJP's “divisive ideology”: Manmohan Singh
- Amit Shah booked for his “revenge” remark
- AAP to concentrate on Nilgiris, Central Chennai, Sivaganga
- Babri Masjid demolition sting: BJP questions timing, asks EC to stop telecast
- Apmaan ka badla lena hoga: Amit Shah in Muzaffarnagar | The Indian Express
- Arvind Kejriwal punched during roadshow in Delhi, AAP supporters thrash attacker
- Sentencing in Shakti Mills gang-rape case likely today, convicts may get death