Kamal Haasan's film kicks up controversy ahead of release
- Winter session Day 1: Govt talks about misuse of word 'secularism', Sonia raises 'intolerance' debate
- Sheena murder: CBI seeks Interpol help, Peter Mukerjea's custody extended till Nov 30
- PPCC chief Bajwa and Jakhar made to resign as rejig in Punjab Congress imminent
- Constitution Day: The many reasons why the BJP decided to celebrate it
- India-Pakistan series to be played from December 15 in Sri Lanka: Rajiv Shukla
Just a month ahead of its release, actor Kamal Haasan's trilingual 'Viswaroopam' (Vishwaroop in Hindi) has generated much controversy over the actor's proposal to release the movie also on DTH platforms with the move not going down well with theatre owners in Tamil Nadu.
The tech-savvy actor's unique idea of having just one show eight hours ahead of the movie's scheduled release on January 11 on Direct-to-Home (DTH) platform has found few takers among theatre owners who believe the new trend could dent their business if more producers of the multi-crore Tamil cinema take a cue from him.
His argument that the show proposed for a fee would actually attract more audiences to theatres has failed to cut ice among theatre owners who today sought the intervention of Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa in this matter.
"Kamal Haasan has assured that only one show of Viswaroopam will be telecast on DTH but what if more producers follow suit and increase the number of shows on DTH in the future," President of Tamil Nadu Theatre Owners Association Abirami Ramanathan told reporters here.
He said his association had held talks with the actor where many things were discussed in relation to the controversy.
He expressed doubts over Kamal Haasan's argument that the show on DTH will act like a teaser and attract more audiences. If the movie was shown in clubs and associations like IPL matches, would people visit the theatres?, he asked.
The move would affect small budget films and the association has urged the actor to reconsider his decision, Ramanathan added.
He also requested the intervention of the Chief Minister to solve the ongoing issue.
Meanwhile, Kamal Haasan, who was in Madurai, was not available for comment.
'Viswaroopam' starring Rahul Bose, Shekar Kapoor and Andrea Jermiah, among others, is a multi-million-rupee budget film directed and produced by Kamal Haasan and the trailer of the thriller has created a lot of buzz.
- Who is a true patriot?
- Douglass North emphasised institutions at a time when markets were the focus
- The crux of our solitude
- PM Modi’s achievements abroad appear to cut little ice back home
- Post 13/11 sloganeering at Antalya and Kuala Lumpur won’t be enough
- Can Parliament be insulated from the vagaries of the political climate?