Kanda denied bail
- Eden to Eden, IPL Eight wonder
- Jayalalithaa announces welfare schemes worth Rs 1800 crore
- Heat wave continues to torment India; death toll rises to 368
- Will work towards abrogating Article 370 when we have numbers in Parliament: BJP
- Mathematician John Nash, who inspired 'A Beautiful Mind', killed in car crash
Former Haryana Minister Gopal Goyal Kanda, arrested for his alleged role in air hostess Geetika Sharma suicide case, was on Monday denied bail by the Delhi High Court.
The court dismissed Kanda's bail plea after hearing arguments from both the prosecution and defence counsel.
Kanda's counsel Mukul Rohatgi argued that several months have passed since his client's arrest on August 18, while the police too has filed the charge sheet and "now my client is entitled to bail." The senior advocate also said the circumstances of the case show "it is not a case of abetment of suicide but a case of infatuation." Opposing Kanda's bail plea, Additional Solicitor General Siddharth Luthra said, "We are in the process of further investigation in the case and he, being a politician and an influential person, may influence witnesses in the case."