Kangna Ranaut plays Vidya in 'Shootout At Wadala'
- PM Modi should resign if he can't ask four ministers to step down: Congress
- Lalit Modi names 2 Indian, 1 West Indian cricketer who were bribed
- Kerala bar bribery case: Relief for Mani as anti-corruption body decides against chargesheet
- No charging check-in baggage: Government on budget airlines' move
- Delhi court allows TERI chief R K Pachauri to travel to USA
With the sensational news about the dazzling cameos of Priyanka Chopra, Sunny Leone and Sophie Choudry in Sanjay Gupta's Shootout At Wadala, having created a splash, the film's fourth female dimension comes in the form of the heroine of the film, Kangna Ranaut.
Kangna plays the role of Vidya Joshi who is Manya Surve's (John Abraham) love interest.
Interestingly, Kangna's de-glam cotton-sari look, make-up and hair have been styled on the lines of Shabana Azmi's character from Arth. Sanjay says, "She's done something she hasn't done before."
While there is no mention of Vidya in S. Hussain Zaidi's best-seller 'Dongri To Dubai' (from which a part of the film has been inspired), director Sanjay Gupta learnt of her existence through his interaction with the Police while researching for the film.
Sanjay reveals, "The Police know about Vidya. So do the residents of Mumbai's Dadar and Agar Bazaar areas where she is folklore. Many believe that she betrayed Manya, which led to his encounter. No one knows what happened to her after Manya's death."
On his decision to cast Kangna, he adds, "The role of Vidya was written originally with Vidya Balan in mind, as we needed a powerhouse actress to pull off the film's emotional dimension. When it didn't work out, we opted for Kangna, as she is a fantastic actress. She has really stood her own amid the men in the film and delivered a knock-out performance."