Kangna Ranaut plays Vidya in 'Shootout At Wadala'
- Live: Hurriyat hardliner Masarat Alam's release rocks Parliament, Cong seeks PM's statement
- Dimapur lynching: On social media, first ‘rape’, then ‘Bangladesh man’
- Seconds before being stabbed, Indian techie called husband to say she was being followed
- Land acquisition debate: ‘They gave us a window, then went back to 1894’
- Beef ban may spell doom for Dharavi leather trade
With the sensational news about the dazzling cameos of Priyanka Chopra, Sunny Leone and Sophie Choudry in Sanjay Gupta's Shootout At Wadala, having created a splash, the film's fourth female dimension comes in the form of the heroine of the film, Kangna Ranaut.
Kangna plays the role of Vidya Joshi who is Manya Surve's (John Abraham) love interest.
Interestingly, Kangna's de-glam cotton-sari look, make-up and hair have been styled on the lines of Shabana Azmi's character from Arth. Sanjay says, "She's done something she hasn't done before."
While there is no mention of Vidya in S. Hussain Zaidi's best-seller 'Dongri To Dubai' (from which a part of the film has been inspired), director Sanjay Gupta learnt of her existence through his interaction with the Police while researching for the film.
Sanjay reveals, "The Police know about Vidya. So do the residents of Mumbai's Dadar and Agar Bazaar areas where she is folklore. Many believe that she betrayed Manya, which led to his encounter. No one knows what happened to her after Manya's death."
On his decision to cast Kangna, he adds, "The role of Vidya was written originally with Vidya Balan in mind, as we needed a powerhouse actress to pull off the film's emotional dimension. When it didn't work out, we opted for Kangna, as she is a fantastic actress. She has really stood her own amid the men in the film and delivered a knock-out performance."