Kapil Dev, Vengsarkar want Sehwag to score a ton in 100th Test
- Congress wants Amit Shah held, BJP says nation shares his views
- Narendra Modi not my protege, a brilliant events manager: L K Advani
- Pakistan bike-snatchers turned terrorists for IMâs âjihad liteâ
- Solicitor General Mohan Parasaran holds AAP govt Reliance FIR illegal
- Unruffled Indian team lets hair down with PS3, selfies, soccer
"There should be more players like Sehwag. Players like him would bring back crowd to Test cricket. I want him to score a hundred in his 100th match," said 1983 World Cup winning captain Kapil Dev on the sidelines of the release of a book on Sehwag's teammate Yuvraj Singh.
The 34-year-old Sehwag scored his first Test century in almost two years in the first game of the ongoing four-match series against England at Ahmedabad -- a blistering 117 – to set up the platform for the huge Indian first innings score of 521 for 9 declared.
India rode on the 34-year-old Delhi star's ton, an unbeaten double century by young batsman Cheteshwar Pujara and a nine-wicket haul by left-arm spinner Pragyan Ojha to carve out a thumping nine-wicket victory and go 1-0 ahead in the series.
Former chief selector and ex-India skipper Dilip Vengsarkar said he was a big fan of Sehwag, popularly known as "Nawab of Najafgarh".
"He is an outstanding cricketer. He has played his (style of) game every time. There was a lean patch (in between) but he went on with aggression. If you see his Test record it is amazing, it's a milestone for him. I am a huge fan of his. I hope he scores a hundred in his 100th test match," Vengsarkar said.
Sehwag, who is set to join a select list of eight other Indian batsmen, including Kapil and Vengsarkar, who have played 100 Tests, made a sensational debut by scoring 105 at number six in 2001 against South Africa at Bloemfontein. Asked if Sehwag should change his batting style in Test cricket in the absence of senior players like Rahul Dravid and VVS Laxman, Vengsarkar said, "No. He is doing well. He is an outstanding cricketer."
- Apmaan ka badla lena hoga: Amit Shah in Muzaffarnagar | The Indian Express
- Babri Masjid demolition sting: BJP questions timing, asks EC to stop telecast
- Arvind Kejriwal punched during roadshow in Delhi, AAP supporters thrash attacker
- Sentencing in Shakti Mills gang-rape case likely today, convicts may get death