Karnataka govt faces Hegde heat
- Putin calls Turkey's downing of Russian jet 'stab in the back'
- Today, world looks towards India with great faith: PM in Singapore
- Aamir Khan at RNG awards: Here is the complete conversation
- Bomb attack on Tunisia presidential guard bus kills 11
- BJP MLA suspended from Delhi Assembly for abusing AAP legislator Alka Lamba
Karnataka Lok Ayukta Justice Santosh Hegde's resignation and the disappearance of over 5 lakh tonnes of iron ore seized at his instance was the dominating issue in the Karnataka Assembly on Tuesday with the opposition Congress and JDS moving adjournment motions to discuss the issue.
The ruling BJP government agreed to debate the issue but insisted the motion should be taken under rules that do not lead to a vote on the motion.
Congress leader Siddaramaiah called the disappearance of iron ore and export of several lakh tonnes of iron ore without any permits or tax payment "daylight robbery" of the country's natural resources. He said the scam could run into Rs 3,000 crore making it "the biggest scam of the century".
Siddaramaiah, in preliminary arguments for pressing the adjournment motion, said the state government had insulted the institution of the Lok Ayukta through indifferent treatment.
JD(S) leader in the Assembly H D Revanna who also spoke on the adjournment motion said Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa has to take direct responsibility for the illegal happenings in the mining and forest departments since both ministries are handled by Yeddyurappa.
- Newspaper is supposed to expose corruption and injustice wherever it finds it
- For many Bangladeshis, they hint at closure for 1971
- The big question: Proper returns to farmers
- Delhi HC versus DDCA
- Frequent promulgation of ordinances has more to do with managerial ethos
- Indian peacekeeping abroad: Samantha Power shows some deft diplomacy