Ajmal Kasab recovers from fever, tests confirm no dengue
- Sonia Gandhi attacks BJP ideology, says Country is at crossroads
- Rahul mocks Modi, says his Gujarat development model is a toffee model
- Under fire over Baru's revelation, Congress retorts by calling 'Vajpayee the weakest PM India ever had'
- Narendra Modi, party not separate, no infighting: BJP on Joshi's remarks
- Priyanka Gandhi denies report on fighting polls against Modi
Ajmal Kasab, the lone surviving terrorist of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks, has recovered from a fever he contracted four days ago, an official at Arthur Road Jail said on Sunday.
He underwent tests inside his high-security cell by doctors from JJ Hospital to check for symptoms of malaria and dengue. The tests were negative. He was running high fever and had been weak for two days. However, the tests clearly show that he had normal fever and that he had not contracted any disease," said Suresh Karnik, superintendent, Arthur Road Jail.
Since the fever continued from Friday night and he went weak, jail officials suspected he could have contracted dengue. "We suspected he may be suffering from either malaria or dengue. On Saturday, we called a team of doctors from JJ Hospital as a precautionary measure," Karnik said.
He added that Kasab had completely recovered on Sunday and his temperature finally came down. The officials have kept him under observation for some time. Karnik said Kasab ate a breakfast of rotis, vegetables and fruits on Sunday morning and was expected to resume normal diet and exercise from Monday.
Since the entire prison premises is fumigated once a week, the jail authorities have decided that no additional fumigation was required.
Dean of JJ Hospital Dr T P Lahane too confirmed that there was no dengue scare in the prison. "My doctors go to Arthur Road Jail every day to check on the prisoners. Kasab was diagnosed with fever four days ago and has been on treatment. He is fine now. There has been no dengue reported," Lahane said.
In October, Kasab's mercy plea was rejected after the government sent its recommendation to the President. The Supreme Court has confirmed the death penalty awarded to the LeT operative by the trial court and later upheld by the Bombay High Court.
- US panel wary of Modi rise
- Return pharmacists to drug stores, end queues: Govt
- Minority panel works on logo, structure to include Jains
- Festival makes performers of Assam’s politicians
- Child’s death in 1997: Delhi High Court upholds 4-yr jail for quack
- Orissa ponzi scam surpasses that of Bengal by Rs 2,140 cr