Kashmir fire: 46 houses gutted in Pahalgam
- Essar Leaks: SC issues notices to Essar Group and Centre on PIL seeking court-monitored probe
- Karnataka CM announces CBI probe into death of IAS officer DK Ravi
- Hashimpura massacre: 10 freed still in UP Police
- Jaitley, Rajan paper over the cracks, minister says in regular, frank talks
- Lee Kuan Yew, founder of modern Singapore, passes away at 91
Forty-six houses were gutted in a massive fire that broke out in the wee hours today at Pahalgam in south Kashmir's Anantnag district, official sources said.
The fire broke out at around 2:30 AM at Frislan, a peripheral village in Pahalgam, 100 kms from here, and quickly engulfed 46 houses and few cowsheds, they said.
The houses, mostly made of wood, were completely gutted.
There was no report of any loss of human life, they said, adding that over two dozen cattle perished in the blaze.
Fifteen fire-tenders doused the fire at around six in the morning, they said. Officials said the cause of the fire is being ascertained.
Preliminary report suggests that the fire started from a house where a villager had stored charcoal for winter. Villagers in Kashmir store charcoal for heating purpose during the winter months.