Naked parade: Centre to look into video clip on Kashmir
- Narendra Modi new talking point in Tamil Nadu, but few say they will vote for him
- 78 pc turnout, but few can show ink mark
- Giriraj Singh stands by his Pak remark; BJP dissociates itself from him
- Pratapgarh Dalits angry with Mayawati, Muslims feel âunsafeâ
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Bismillah Khan's family says no to propose Modi's name
The central government on Thursday said a video clip, purportedly shows uniformed personnel herding four naked young men in Kashmir, had not been "authenticated" and agencies had been asked to investigate the matter.
'The Indian Express' had reported on Thursday that this three-minute video clip, anonymously posted on social networking sites Facebook and YouTube, was being widely circulated in Srinagar.
A senior police officer in the Valley has said it looked like an 'old video'.
In Delhi, Union Home Minister P Chidambaram said: "No one has been able to authenticate the video so far."
Chidambaram said he had asked security agencies to find out whether anybody featuring in the video had spoken out.
"Until it is authenticated and the persons identified, I think it would be unsafe to rely on such a video," Chidambaram said.
Meanwhile, the police in Srinagar has said it will register a case against two prominent social networking sites for uploading the video clip.
"A formal case is being registered against YouTube and Facebook networks and investigation is on to locate the people responsible for uploading this baseless and malicious clip," a police spokesman said.
He said police have taken cognizance of the video clip and initial investigations have shown that these reports have not been verified. Therefore, "to attribute it to security forces with the intention of maligning them and spreading disaffection among the people is highly regrettable", the police have said.
"Action shall also be taken against other organisations which tried to propagate it," he added.
The video, which appeared on YouTube first and then on Facebook, purportedly showed Kashmiri youths being stripped and paraded naked through an agricultural field in Sopore, 55 kilometres from Srinagar.
- 21-year-old dies in road mishap, one injured
- Ask Badals where is Ludhiana Metro: Bhattal to locals
- Arrests in priest murder case divide Catholic Church
- Short Change: EPFO to allot permanent account number to active subscribers by Oct 15
- India Inc profit set to grow, but margins under pressure
- Mulayam: Will amend Constitution for Muslim quota