Kashmir: Three arrested for honour killing
- Sahara case: Hearing deferred in SC, Subrata Roy to remain in jail
- Purnia rally: Modi takes a dig at Nitish, says his PM dream was reason for break up of alliance
- Still no sign of Malaysia Airlines jet lost in "unprecedented mystery"
- DMK denies ticket to Alagiri; Raja, Maran get renomination
- Coal scam: SC directs CBI to file five charge sheets by Mar 28
Three persons, allegedly involved in the 'honour' killing of a young woman last year, were arrested in Kupwara district of north Kashmir, police said today.
The three accused - Reyaz Ahmad Sheikh and Fayaz Ahmad Shah of Malagund and Abdul Gani Pir of Shortmuqam - were on run and were arrested by a Special Investigation Team (SIT) of police, a police spokesman said.
With their arrest, a total of eight persons have been arrested in connection with the 'honour killing' of a young woman at Malagund-Sevar village of Lolab in Kupwara district on February 16.
Police had filed the chargesheet of the case before the court of Principal Sessions Judge Kupwara against eight accused persons on April 23.
After the receipt of FSL report which confirmed the death of the girl due to poisoning, the trial court ordered further investigation following which a special investigation team headed by Deputy Superintendent of Police (headquarters), Kupwara, Sajad Khaliq Bhat was constituted on August 28, 2012.
The investigation revealed that the victim was having an affair with one Wiqar Ahmad Khan of Cheepora village of Lolab, who claimed that their 'Nikah' was performed on October 15, 2011 , the spokesman said.
Khan had sent a proposal of marriage to the family of the victim but it was rejected, he said adding, the girl's father forcibly married her to another man.
"A forcible nikah (marriage) was performed and the victim was forcibly sent with her husband," the spokesman said.
He said the girl was poisoned to death by her second husband - Nasir Ahmad Shah - and father after Khan approached court for restoration of his wife.
- Bengal model better than Modi’s Gujarat, says Didi
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- Three RTI activists whom Kejriwal paid homage are alive
- Poojary wins Mangalore primary
- Short change: Health cover for girl child at 50% discount
- Run with the bulls, don’t lose out to foreign investors again
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress