Kazmi to fight for ‘innocent’ youth held on terror charges
- Target Uttar Pradesh: Modi goes to Varanasi, Rajnath to Lucknow
- SC stays death penalty of two Delhi gang-rape convicts till March 31
- AICC spokesman lashes out against PM's silence and negative publicity
- Court imposes fine of Rs 2,500 each on Arvind Kejriwal, Manish Sisodia
- Rahul Gandhi dubs poll surveys as 'jokes'
Syed Mohammad Ahmed Kazmi, the journalist held for his alleged role in the attack on an Israeli diplomat in Delhi, said Friday he will fight for the release of innocent men held on fabricated terror charges.
Together with his lawyer Mahmood Paracha, Kazmi will launch a forum to provide free legal assistance to such men. "It is important they receive the best legal aid available. In several cases, lawyers are under pressure from the bar council to not represent certain suspects. Most importantly, we will give them the moral support they require when the support of their family and friends is withdrawn," said Paracha.
Given bail by the Supreme Court in October, Kazmi claimed he had been arrested because he was a "soft target" and "his career graph suited the Delhi Police".
"I have worked for IRNA (Iranian news agency) since 1983, as well as Iran's broadcast network (IRIB) and Tehran Air. Also, I live only 2-3 km from the Special Cell of the Delhi Police. They found that I suited their needs perfectly," Kazmi said. According to him, vested interests who wanted to spoil India's relations with Iran were behind his arrest.
- Sale of sarees in ‘NaMo boxes’ banned in Pilibhit
- Curfew in Valley after youth’s death in police firing, probe ordered
- Kejriwal attacks Modi, his ‘growth’ model
- Mulayam blames central schemes for graft at village level
- UK to bring alive role of Indian soldiers
- Shalimar Mall owner held for duping resident
- BJP projected to sweep Gujarat, Rajasthan, Karnataka; Congress to get big jolt in Maharashtra
- Editors body slams Arvind Kejriwal for ‘irresponsible’ media remark, says it is a sign of ‘weakness’
- Trouble in alliance with Congress, TRS turns to BJP
- Minority panel removed my riot report against Modi: Ex-Secy