Keeping myself shut off from criticism has helped me: MS Dhoni
- Mulayam Yadav calls Narendra Modi a liar, says he changes 500 kurtas a day
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Kejriwal holds roadshow in Varanasi before filing nomination
- Bhavnagar model: Muslim buys house, canât move in
- 12-yr-olds also voted in this Bihar village
- Shazia says Muslims should become 'communal' when they vote
"This Test was evenly poised when I came in and Nathan Lyon was bowling well. So, it was important to play a few big shots so that you could get rid of that extra catching fielder from near you," Dhoni said.
"So that if you misread a flighted delivery, or go back to a ball pitched slightly up, you don't have that one extra fielder to catch that inside edge or a bat-pad. It worked well," he said.
Asked if missing out on a hundred in Nagpur in his previous Test had played on his mind in this match, Dhoni said, "I have got five 90s, so it doesn't weight any more.
Seriously, I've got out in the 90s plenty of times. I personally believe it's the top six batsmen, OK I'm batting at six now, but they're the ones who really worry about the 100s.
"It's the weightage of the innings, I've never thought about 100s. I remember the 92 I scored at the Oval in 2007. Dilip Vengsarkar was there and he said whether I would do different. I said no, I would bat the same way, and if I get a chance to hit, I would hit. So nothing much has changed," said Dhoni.
The Indian captain refused to rate his double ton here, saying that each knock has its own significance in the context of team success.
"I don't have many big innings, so it's slightly easy for me to choose. But at the same time it's difficult to choose because I don't have many. I feel the 70 runs I scored at the Lord's in 2007 series were very special because that innings helped us win the series.
"It's not the amount of runs, often it's the weightage of the innings that you've played that matters. It might be just a 25-30 runs you've scored, but if they have a big impact on a match or series, that can be really special," he said.
- Six Bengal constituencies go to poll tomorrow in second phase
- Whistleblower alleged kickbacks, favours in ‘thin client’ procurement; NDA never completed inquiry
- Pune AAP volunteers all set to hit campaign trail in Varanasi
- ‘Interstate’ gang of chain snatchers held; gold worth Rs 80 lakh seized
- CBI, Army vigilance wing carry out daylong search at NDA
- Balancing Act