Kerala man jailed for raping, selling daughter
- Home Ministry calls for high-level meet to discuss threat posed by ISIS
- VIDEO: 20 killed in Manipur landslide after heavy rain, several families homeless in Mizoram
- Indian Army, Chinese PLA hold maiden meet at DBO in Ladakh
- SP leader Farooq Ghosi, who demanded RS seat for Yakub Memon's widow, suspended from party
- Navy choppers gave air cover during Kalam's funeral: Defence
A special court in Kochi on Wednesday sentenced a man to seven years in jail for raping his minor daughter and selling her into sex trade. Another accused got seven years' jail term while two others got 10 years. The girl's mother and a middleman were acquitted for want of evidence.
The case — Paravoor sex scandal — was reported in March 2011, following the girl's revelation that she had been abused for 18 months. The police had identified 130 persons in the racket, and arrested 90. The prosecution had submitted 10 chargesheets in the special court, where trial of two cases have been completed.
In the first case, the girl's father, C Sudheer, was served with life term in July. In the second case, which has six accused, the prosecution said Sudheer had handed her over to film producer Janatha Vijayan, the third accused, for Rs 40,000. Vijayan and two others raped her. Vijayan was sentenced to seven years' jail term while the other two got 10 years' jail term.