Kerala man jailed for raping, selling daughter
- L-G Jung functioning as if there is President's Rule in Delhi: Sisodia
- Suicide car bomb kills at least 6, injures 9 in Kabul
- VIDEO: Teased by bodyguard, Agra woman smashes SP leader's Mercedes
- Amid Delhi Chief Secy row, at least dozen govt officers ready to leave city
- Modi govt calls for 'fitting' commemoration of Rajiv Gandhi death anniversary
A special court in Kochi on Wednesday sentenced a man to seven years in jail for raping his minor daughter and selling her into sex trade. Another accused got seven years' jail term while two others got 10 years. The girl's mother and a middleman were acquitted for want of evidence.
The case — Paravoor sex scandal — was reported in March 2011, following the girl's revelation that she had been abused for 18 months. The police had identified 130 persons in the racket, and arrested 90. The prosecution had submitted 10 chargesheets in the special court, where trial of two cases have been completed.
In the first case, the girl's father, C Sudheer, was served with life term in July. In the second case, which has six accused, the prosecution said Sudheer had handed her over to film producer Janatha Vijayan, the third accused, for Rs 40,000. Vijayan and two others raped her. Vijayan was sentenced to seven years' jail term while the other two got 10 years' jail term.