Kerala rape-murder: Auto driver gets death
- ASEAN Summit: PM Modi meets Chinese counterpart; discusses bilateral ties
- Congress 'anti-national', party should be 'derecognised': Sukhbir Badal
- Tejaswi Yadav takes on critics, says don't judge a book by its cover
- Sheena Bora murder case: Charges against Peter Mukerjea outrageous, says son Rahul Mukerjea
- AAP sends invite to dissident Shanti Bhushan for NC meet
A Sessions Court here on Thursday sentenced to death a 28-year-old man, an autorickshaw driver, for raping and murdering a 15-year-old girl last year.
Principal Sessions Judge B Sudheendrakumar awarded death sentence to Rajesh Kumar, who was found guilty of multiple offences, including raping and murdering the girl at her residence at Vattappara near here on March 6, 2012.
The prosecution's case was that Rajesh entered the victim's home on the pretext that he wanted some water and a screwdriver for repairing his autorickshaw, which broke down on the road in front of the house. The victim, who was preparing for her Class X examination at the time, was alone at home as her parents were away.
Rajesh then caught hold of the girl. After raping her, he strangled the girl and ran away from the spot after snatching a gold chain of the victim. To their shock, the girl's parents found their child lying dead when they returned home.
Rajesh, a native of nearby Kattakkada, was arrested a week later.
The prosecution said the accused had committed rape, murder and robbery and submitted that the crime should be considered as rarest of the rare cases and maximum punishment be awarded to the accused.