Kerala refuses fresh probe against Kurien
- Will reach out to 'muslim' brothers, address Ram Temple issue: Modi
- Congress backs Priyanka Gandhi as she hits out at opposition for 'targeting Robert Vadra without proof'
- CJI bars advocate's entry in SC for 6 months for sexual harrassment
- April 22 Campaign roundup: Modi hurls a 'khooni panja' at Cong, says its responsible for 1100 lives in Telangana
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, KXIP vs SRH: KXIP beat SRH by 72 runs
Based on legal advice, the Congress government in Kerala Wednesday ruled out a fresh probe into the alleged involvement of Rajya Sabha deputy chairman P J Kurien in the Suryanelli serial rape case.
Chief Minister Oommen Chandy and Home Minister Thiruvanchoor Radhakrishnan told the Assembly that the government faces legal constraints in re-opening a case settled by the Supreme Court.
The state had sought legal opinion after the victim sought a fresh probe against Kurien. Director general of prosecutions T Asif Ali , law secretary and the state counsel in the case in the SC advised against it. Ali opined there was no fresh evidence other than the victim's statement, which was a repeat of her earlier stand that Kurien had raped her.
CPM's P Sreeramakrishnan said the state should reject the advice of Ali, a member of the Congress, and re-open the case based on the fresh revelations of the witnesses.
The Opposition can move the High Court for re-investigation, said Radhakrishnan. Chandy too said Ali's opinion was not the final word.
Charges baseless: Wife
Susan Kurien, meanwhile, defended her husband. "I am sure the charges against my husband are baseless. Myself and my daughters believe the truth will prevail," she said and added, "Those fighting for women's rights should not forget Kurien too has a family." PTI
- Five months after gruesome ATM attack, accused still at large
- Ex-syndicate member of Bangalore University held in marks-for-cash scam
- Accused get bail as police fail to file chargesheet
- ‘Naxals collected info on trucks carrying explosives from Khadki to Ahmednagar’
- A tale of two villages: Ramayan and Mahabharat
- UP CM tears into Modi bastion on first visit to Gujarat, says Third Front ready