Khaps oppose death penalty for rapists
- April 23 campaign roundup: AAP leader Somnath Bharti thrashed by alleged BJP supporters in Varanasi
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Vadra rakes up snooping row to target Narendra Modi
- IPL 7: All-round Jadeja steals show in CSK win
Opposing the demand for death penalty for rapists, Khaps in Haryana on Sunday said that no law should be introduced in a hurry which can be misused.
Speaking at a village here, Khap leader Sube Singh said that the authorities should not be carried away by emotions in the wake of the public protests over the gangrape issue and demand for death penalty for rapists. "We have seen the anti-dowry Act and the SC/ST Act being misused. Any new law which gives such harsh punishment would also be vulnerable to misuse," Singh said.
Khaps or caste panchayats have in the past drawn flak for opposing marriages in the same sect and their diktats on moral policing.