Khaps to oppose same-gotra marriage, ‘never for honour killing’
- First Germany, now UK objects to India ‘breach’ of secret bank data
- Rahul to meet farmers today in first public appearance since return
- Need to give foreign visit details in tax returns
- Told by HC to give birth, rape victim pushed to corner
- Masarat Alam back in jail for 'sedition', BJP says we got it done
Khap panchayats in Uttar Pradesh on Saturday said they will oppose same gotra marriages before the Supreme Court which had sought their views following a plea to curb violence against couples at the behest of such caste councils.
At a meeting of over 200 khap leaders, the self-styled caste councils were "unanimous in their opposition to same gotra marriages". They, however, stressed that they have "never supported honour killings," meeting convenor Surendra Singh said. "The intention is to check social evils and protect our traditions," he added.
The khaps also demanded that they be recognised by the government and granted legal rights.