Khushboo case: HC stays proceedings against Maxim
- AAP-BJP clashes: FIR against Ashutosh, Shazia Ilmi for rioting
- Nine-phase Lok Sabha polls begin on April 7, counting on May 16
- Mumbai dailies laud Kamat, he denies he paid for the ânewsâ
- Congress bends, âopen to TRS allianceâ
- Mamata Banerjee releases candidates list for LS polls, lists out celebs and statistics
The Madras High Court on Wednesday stayed criminal proceedings against Maxim, the UK-based magazine for men, based on a plea filed by one of the respondents seeking to squash the case filed by actor Khushboo for publishing a morphed picture showing her in a two-piece bikini.
Justice K N Basha, who granted the interim stay, also ordered issuing notices to the City Central Crime Branch of the Chennai police, which had filed a chargesheet based on a complaint by Khushboo. The chargesheet named five persons, including the magazine's India editor, printer, publisher, art director, deputy manager (circulation) and the regional circulation manager. The regional circulation manager filed the petition seeking to quash the criminal case against him and the others.
The police had charged the five for alleged offences under Sec 292A of the IPC (printing of grossly indecent or scurrilous matter), sections 3, 4 and 6 of the Indecent Representation of Women (Prohibition) Act and Sec 3 of the Tamil Nadu Prevention of Harassment of Women Act. Khushboo, who was already in the thick of a controversy over her bold remarks on pre-marital sex, claimed damages and filed a police complaint against Maxim. In his petition, Fazzal Hussain, Maxim's regional circulation manager, said the case against him had no basis and that there were no materials to proceed against him.
- New police chief says smooth polls his top priority for now
- Battleground ready, tough fight on cards in Pune
- Gadkari visits PU for cultural event, crowd gets out of control
- Govt vehicle hits two visually impaired students
- Ecclestone rules out Indian GP in 2015
- Captain Vidic abandons sinking ship at Manchester United, to sign for Inter Milan