Kidnapping that was not
- As Ambedkar Association grew, so did its assertiveness
- Dalit suicide: ABVP leader claimed pain after ‘assault,’ operated for appendicitis
- 4th ODI, Live Score: Australia post 348/8 against India in Canberra
- Indian markets in a bear hug: Sensex, rupee back at level before Modi took charge
- India successfully puts its fifth navigation satellite into orbit
Girl says abducted from Panchkula, then from Sukhna Lake; later claims no abduction
High drama was witnessed at the Sector 17 police station as the Police Control Room (PCR), Chandigarh, received a call from a person that his sister had been kidnapped. While the girl was recovered from the Sector 17 Inter-State Bus Terminal (ISBT), the matter fizzled out by the evening as the girl did not confirm abduction.
At 11 am, the PCR received a call that a girl had been abducted from ISBT-17. However, before the complainant could reach the police station to give details, the girl was found and taken to Sector 17 police station.
The family of the girl also reached the police station. When the cops of the Sector 17 police station questioned the girl, she said that she was abducted from Panchkula. Then the Panchkula Police was called in and the girl was questioned by them.
However, by 4 pm, the Panchkula Police officers handed the case to UT police. Station House Officer (SHO) of Sector 5 police station, Panchkula, Ajay Singh said the girl was not kidnapped from Panchkula and the case pertained to Chandigarh. She had gone on her own to Sector 3 in Chandigarh and was allegedly issued threats by a boy that he would disfigure her face by throwing acid on her.
"We have not registered any case in the matter and the Chandigarh Police is looking into the incident," said the SHO.
Later during interrogation, the girl said she was abducted from the Sukhna Lake. Then the SHO of police station, Sector 3, Chandigarh, was called in. He questioned the girl and said, "The girl is an adult and has given a statement that she was not kidnapped. She did not give any statement following which an inquiry could have been made. Therefore, no case has been registered."
- What if law not dictate but allows old customs and traditions to do their work?
- Strictly regulated and independently audited jallikattu is the way to go
- Half-baked explanation to remove coconut tree from Preservation of Trees Act
- Of deaths and births
- Telescope: Why we don’t do comedy well
- It is not incidental that Rohith Chakravarthi Vemula and his dissent were crushed