Killer constable, girlfriend nabbed from Delhi hotel
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Tharoor mocks at Modi's meeting with actors; 80 pc polling in Inner Manipur
- Congress releases CD of Uma Bharti calling Narendra Modi 'Vinash Purush'
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
- CAG empowered to examine accounts of private telecom companies: Supreme Court
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score: Karthik-led DD face RCB
The Haryana Police on Sunday arrested dismissed Chandigarh police constable Basant Kumar and his girlfriend Sarita wanted in three murder cases. Both were absconding since April 18 and were nabbed from a hotel in Paharganj, Delhi, early in the day, based on a tip off.
They were produced in a Sonepat court. While Basant was sent to police custody for a day, Sarita was sent to judicial custody. The Chandigarh police have moved the court for her custody.
The Chandigarh police had booked both of them on charges of killing police inspector Sucha Singh and seriously injuring constable Jitender on early Saturday morning. They had escaped in a police vehicle that was found abandoned in Dhanas village, Chandigarh.
A special investigation team of the Haryana Police was formed to nab them based on a tip off that Basant would be checking into a hotel in Paharganj, Delhi. Moments after Basant and Sarita checked in, the police, led by DySP Ajit Singh, arrested them.
The police will now quiz Basant to recover the self-loading rifle used by him to kill Sarita's husband Sandeep and mother-in-law Roshni Devi. They will also have to find the car in which the two escaped after committing the crime.
"Several teams were working round the clock to nab him. Ever since he shot two people dead and left another one injured in Sonepat, we were on his trail. We lost his track for a while and then he resurfaced in Chandigarh where he murdered a police inspector. From there we got after him and further developed inputs on his suspected escape route and locations. We learnt that he shall be checking in in a hotel in Paharganj. A trap was then laid," said Anil Rao, IGP, Rohtak range.
DySP Ajit Singh said the police have found that Sarita was a conspirator in the twin murder case. "It was Sarita who called Basant to her home. She played an equal role in getting the two killed. She is no longer a victim of kidnapping. We have charged her with criminal conspiracy," Singh said.
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs
- Last safety check for Metro to begin April 18