'Killers hired by Chhota Rajan'
- Essar Leaks: SC issues notices to Essar Group and Centre on PIL seeking court-monitored probe
- Karnataka CM announces CBI probe into death of IAS officer DK Ravi
- Hashimpura massacre: 10 freed still in UP Police
- Jaitley, Rajan paper over the cracks, minister says in regular, frank talks
- Lee Kuan Yew, founder of modern Singapore, passes away at 91
Mumbai Police Crime Branch officers investigating the alleged firing at bookie-turned-developer Ajay Gosalia, 52, on Wednesday said the contract killers were hired by underworld don Chhota Rajan for Rs 5 lakh.
On Monday, the police had arrested 43-year-old Harish Chandra Yadav alias Tiwari from Indore for allegedly firing three rounds at Gosalia outside Infiniti Mall in Malad (west).
Police officers said during questioning, Tiwari confessed that his gang was hired from Indore for Rs 5 lakh. He allegedly told the police that he was a contract killer.
"Tiwari told us that he was approached by a man, whom he did not know. He gave him (Tiwari) money to meet his travel expenses and promised him Rs 5 lakh on the confirmation of Gosalia's death," said an officer with the Crime Branch.
The police said they were still on the look out for other members of the gang, who had been evading arrests.
On Saturday, officers of Crime Branch's Unit 11 had arrested the alleged planners of the crime, identified as Kaushik Gaur and Abhay Shinde, who reportedly pointed out Gosalia to the three contract killers.
The police said the accused had confirmed that Chhota Rajan had given the contract to kill Gosalia. However, the police said that the motive behind the contract was yet to be ascertained.