'Killers hired by Chhota Rajan'
- Gujjars intensify agitation for job quota, block Delhi-Mumbai rail track
- Video: Mumbai graduate denied job for being Muslim, Minorities Commission seeks explanation from company
- Geelani's 'incomplete' passport application cannot be processed: MEA
- Manish Sisodia launches counter-attack, says AAP govt trying to stop officers' transfer-posting industry
- 'You are the apple of my eye': Osama bin Laden's son's letter to wife
Mumbai Police Crime Branch officers investigating the alleged firing at bookie-turned-developer Ajay Gosalia, 52, on Wednesday said the contract killers were hired by underworld don Chhota Rajan for Rs 5 lakh.
On Monday, the police had arrested 43-year-old Harish Chandra Yadav alias Tiwari from Indore for allegedly firing three rounds at Gosalia outside Infiniti Mall in Malad (west).
Police officers said during questioning, Tiwari confessed that his gang was hired from Indore for Rs 5 lakh. He allegedly told the police that he was a contract killer.
"Tiwari told us that he was approached by a man, whom he did not know. He gave him (Tiwari) money to meet his travel expenses and promised him Rs 5 lakh on the confirmation of Gosalia's death," said an officer with the Crime Branch.
The police said they were still on the look out for other members of the gang, who had been evading arrests.
On Saturday, officers of Crime Branch's Unit 11 had arrested the alleged planners of the crime, identified as Kaushik Gaur and Abhay Shinde, who reportedly pointed out Gosalia to the three contract killers.
The police said the accused had confirmed that Chhota Rajan had given the contract to kill Gosalia. However, the police said that the motive behind the contract was yet to be ascertained.