Kim Jong Un becomes 2: North Korea confirms Kim is married
- Subrata Roy sent to police custody by Supreme Court till next hearing, faces 'ink attack'
- Nitin Gadkari-Raj Thackeray closeness could 'affect' alliance, hints Shiv Sena
- TRS wonât merge, Congress readies to walk alone in both Andhra and Bihar
- Smith announces sudden retirement, says fortunate to have had many highs
- Third Front is unviable 'tired front', says Mamata Banerjee
The mystery woman beside young leader Kim Jong Un at recent public events is indeed his wife, North Korea has confirmed, ending weeks of speculation and offering a new contrast between Kim and his intensely private late father and predecessor.
The news about "comrade Ri Sol Ju'' was buried Wednesday in a state TV report about Kim's tour of a new amusement park. It was delivered casually by a newscaster who gave no details about Ri, including how long she and Kim have been married.
Kim, who inherited rule of North Korea from his father, Kim Jong Il, seven months ago, has been seen with Ri at a concert, a kindergarten visit and other events recently, but state media did not mention her before now, fueling widespread speculation about her identity.
Analysts said the announcement was a calculated move by Kim and his advisers as they forge the image of the 20-something leader who took power following the December death of Kim Jong Il.
"Kim Jong Un is breaking with his father's secrecy-shrouded leadership,'' said Lim Eul-chul, a North Korea expert at South Korea's Kyungnam University. "The revelation of his wife is a sign that Kim wants to show a more open leadership.''
The couple's public appearances and Wednesday's brief marriage announcement are a striking contrast to Kim Jong Il's style. His 17-year rule was known for its secrecy, and his companions and children were rarely discussed. That includes Kim Jong Un, who was virtually unknown outside North Korea before his formal introduction to the world in late 2010.
North Korean media showed Kim and Ri smiling broadly, Kim leaning slightly toward her, as they inspected the newly opened Rungna People's Pleasure Ground.
The leader and his wife were greeted with loud cheers as they and senior North Korean military and ruling party officials walked the grounds of the park during its opening ceremony, the official Korean Central News Agency reported, visiting a dolphin show, wading pool and mini golf course.
- Russia tightens grip in Crimea, West threatens ‘consequences’
- Heavy patrolling in Sector 23 after thief leaves daring note
- Difference of opinion between Patil and UT’s senior standing counsel led to his resignation
- Commissioner to look into shady land deals in 35 villages: High Court
- Class X maths exam easy for some, tough for others
- Panchkula MC approves budget of Rs 39 crore