Kimi Katkarís son complains, cop held
- Vote for Supriya Sule or lose water, âthreatensâ Ajit Pawar
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- 5th phase of elections: Moderate to high turnout on biggest voting day
- Dhowan takes over as Navy Chief, superseded Sinha resigns
- Election Commission lifts ban on BJP leader Amit Shah after he promises to behave
The Yerawada police have arrested a cop after the son of Kimi Katkar, popular actor of the 1990s, complained that he had extorted Rs 300 from them.
Bharat Vitthal Thite (55) was arrested on the complaint of Katkar's son Siddhant Shantanu Sheorey (18), a resident of Aundh.
According to the police, Siddhant was in his Innova at around 1 am on Monday, when he stopped near Kalyani bridge, where cops were checking vehicles, and a truck ahead was blocking their way.
A police constable walked to the car and asked for his licence, PUC and other documents. His friend Arjun Gupta was driving the car and he showed him his Florida (USA) driving licence and told the policeman he was not carrying the PUC with him.
The policeman asked him to pay Rs 600 as fine.
Siddhant telephoned his father Shantanu, who told the policeman to keep the licence with him and they would collect it from the police station the next day. According to the complaint, the policeman, however, asked Siddhant to pay Rs 200 and go. Siddhant did not have Rs 200 change and gave him Rs 500. The cop took Rs 300 and returned only Rs 200. At the time, other policemen were checking other vehicles.
An annoyed Siddhant lodged a complaint with Yerawada police on Wednesday. Thite was identified as the cop and arrested under section 384 (extortion) of the Indian Penal Code. He was produced in a magistrate's court on Thursday. He has been granted bail.
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer