Kimi Katkarís son complains, cop held
- Day after Rahul Gandhi slams PM Modi, Amit Shah condemns politics over surgical strikes
- Prohibition to stay in Bihar: SC stays Patna HC judgment setting aside liquor ban
- US says does not support declaring Pakistan a 'terrorist state'
- Talk on stage at Parrikar event: 200 killed, atom bomb vs atom bomb
- Hurricane Matthew: Haiti death toll rises to 339, deadly storm hits Florida
The Yerawada police have arrested a cop after the son of Kimi Katkar, popular actor of the 1990s, complained that he had extorted Rs 300 from them.
Bharat Vitthal Thite (55) was arrested on the complaint of Katkar's son Siddhant Shantanu Sheorey (18), a resident of Aundh.
According to the police, Siddhant was in his Innova at around 1 am on Monday, when he stopped near Kalyani bridge, where cops were checking vehicles, and a truck ahead was blocking their way.
A police constable walked to the car and asked for his licence, PUC and other documents. His friend Arjun Gupta was driving the car and he showed him his Florida (USA) driving licence and told the policeman he was not carrying the PUC with him.
The policeman asked him to pay Rs 600 as fine.
Siddhant telephoned his father Shantanu, who told the policeman to keep the licence with him and they would collect it from the police station the next day. According to the complaint, the policeman, however, asked Siddhant to pay Rs 200 and go. Siddhant did not have Rs 200 change and gave him Rs 500. The cop took Rs 300 and returned only Rs 200. At the time, other policemen were checking other vehicles.
- Revealing Elena Ferrante’s identity violates her desire for privacy
- Breakdown of LoC ceasefire will make it difficult for army to control infiltration
- Academic publishers suit shows how much they benefitted from intellectual commons
- Lack of unity has prevented Sindhi nationalists from pressuring Islamabad
- India must be prepared to deal with a disease that is growing globally
- Challenge for India’s leaders is to show that strength can be blended with subtlety & deftness