Kin of victims want Mane hanged
- AAP announces second list of candidates, Rajmohan Gandhi to contest from East Delhi
- Sahara chief Subrata Roy moves Supreme Court for cancellation of arrest warrant
- Admiral DK Joshi was disturbed, requested me to accept resignation: AK Antony
- Narendra Modi beats Rahul Gandhi in popularity, says US think tank
- Rahul Gandhi slams Salman Khurshid over 'impotent' remark against Narendra Modi
A year ago, they lost their loved ones to a freak accident as MSRTC driver Santosh Mane went on a rampage on city roads on January 25. Today, their lives are a mix of anger, sorrow, reconciliation and struggle. A Newsline report
'It's painful to see Santosh Mane alive'
In 2010, Milind Gaikwad had narrowly escaped death as the German Bakery blast took place just ten minutes after he had left the spot. However, he was not second time lucky as MSRTC driver Santosh Mane's reckless driving killed him. Gaikwad's wife Nandini, a school teacher, now toils hard to single-handedly raise their 16-year-old daughter and eight-year-old son.
"I cannot help being bitter. Santosh Mane should be hanged at the earliest. It is painful to see him alive when his reckless driving last year took so many lives and ruined families," said Nandini.
"Mane snuffed out several lives. Then why is he still alive," she asked in an emotional outburst while speaking to Newsline on Wednesday.
Recalling the fateful day, family members said Milind, an accountant at a private hotel, was going to his workplace as usual in a shared-rickshaw when Mane rammed the MSRTC bus he had hijacked into ut. "As soon as we heard the news, my mother called up dad and asked him to be alert. At that time, my father said he was far from the site of the incident. Unfortunately, the news of my father's death arrived some time later," said Gaikwad's daughter. "My daughter is old enough to know what's happening, but my son is too young to understand what is going on. I have to be strong to see my children progress in life, " added Nandini.
- Fancy numbers: RTO in PCMC earns Rs 8 crore
- Alarm in Ukraine as Putin orders surprise army drills on border
- Arrests made but two sensational murders still unsolved
- Infosys ex-CFO not to contest polls for AAP
- Monsoon, not Manmohan, led to agri growth: Yashwant
- Now, BJP workers to donate blood equal to Modi’s weight