Kolkata: 24 kg gold worth over Rs 7 crore recovered in empty aircraft
- Subrata Roy to remain in Tihar, Supreme Court calls Sahara's proposal "dishonourable"
- Arvind Kejriwal stopped on way to meet Narendra Modi
- Modi's next round of Chai pe charcha doesn't have police permission yet
- SC issues notice to Centre on Kiran Reddy's PIL against creation of Telangana
- Jat quota after riots hurt Muslim sentiments, says Alvi
At least 24 kg of gold worth Rs 7.7 crore was seized from the Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport in Kolkata on Tuesday. As many as 24 gold bars weighing a kilogram each, lying unclaimed in two bags in an empty aircraft, were recovered by the airport officials while checking the aircraft.
The airport authorities immediately informed the customs authorities. Following this, a team of custom officials later seized two bags.
Though nobody has been arrested yet, the customs officers have started probe into the seizure. According to sources, this is one of the biggest gold seizures from the airport in the eastern region.